Skip to main content

Dr. JK...The Principal We Need


"A boss has the title, a Leader has the people."
Simon Sinek

My career as a teacher has been a challenging one, and not because of my colleagues, my students, or their parents. Many know that it took a while to pass the Math Praxis. I never gave in; partly because of my will to succeed, but mostly due to the encouragement of my leader, Dr. Carolyn Jackson-King. The woman that hired me and then fought for me to stay.  My second day of teaching 4th grade at Orr Elementary, I walked into her office, and told her I needed to resign. It was a truth joke. I laughed and I cried. I was NOT READY. I had started my certification program, I was studying for the praxis, and I was teaching one of the most notorious groups of students to ever grace the walls of that building. While that group made me who I am as a teacher, my principal gave me every tool I needed to even come close to the educator they deserved.

Over the years, I believe that I have grown as a teacher. It is clearly my passion, the thing I would do for free. Not only did I fall in love with that bright light that comes on when my students finally "get it," but I have become a lifelong learner. My principal gave me the opportunity to be a grade level lead and also study data throughout the building. I find myself in rooms that I'm not initially sure I belong in. Her confidence in me and her guidance are what nurtured me to bloom into the educator I am today. Friends who know that I am in education call me for advice, and I am fulfilled every time. And while Dr. JK would never take credit for who I am, I will always express who she has been to me.

When I received the news that Dr. JK would not be reappointed as Principal of Boone Elementary my heart dropped. Dr. JK has changed lives. She has impacted teachers, parents, and most importantly, our students. Not because she sits in the principal's office, which she rarely does, but because she builds lasting relationships. I've never taught at another school but I hear the horror stories from fellow educators. So it's safe to say MY PRINCIPAL IS ONE OF THE BEST! She fights for her teachers so that all we have to worry about is fighting for our students. Whether it's the annual budget or simply being a thought partner when it comes to lesson planning.

I believe Dr. JK's removal as principal is not based on performance as can be seen in current data. Below I have provided ELA data based on district wide testing. These percentages are based on students on or above grade level in our testing grades. This increase alone is due to the late nights and early mornings Dr. JK spent going through state standards. This is based on the weekend text messages and the conversations had around what our students need most. And this is just a snapshot of where we started in the 2019-20 academic year. There is a war happening. We are not just fighting for our principal. We are fighting for the future of our children.

ANET cycle 1 (October 2019)                 ANET Cycle 3 (February 2020)
3rd Grade: 29%                                      3rd Grade: 54%
4th Grade: 31%                                      4th Grade: 51%
5th Grade: 40%                                      5th Grade: 54% 

In the beginning of the year our test scores were far below the district. Currently we are performing close to or above other schools in the district.

Dr. Jackson-King had the foresight to see who I could become as an educator. She has the experience to lead our staff in a way that supports and challenges us. She gets results where it matters most. Our students grow emotionally, socially, and exponentially in their academics. She is excellent at what she does. She is the Principal we need!

Comments

  1. This is fantastic! "There is a war happening. We are not just fighting for our principal. We are fighting for the future of our children. " Absolutely!!

    Can we share this on the Support Dr. JK website?
    https://www.supportdrjk.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love or Career?

“I met this boy when I was six years old and what I loved most he had so much soul…” So, I know Common was talking about Hip Hop, but this is my real life! I met… John (we’ll call him John) at… (John Elementary) when I was six. He was everything to me. He had pcurly hair and a beautiful smile. His skin was a soft caramel color and he played basketball. How could I not love him? I mean, I knew in that moment that we were going to be together forever. I told all my friends that he was mine. Knowing my mom was not having it, I still pretended. But I was a geek. I mean, like glasses, buck teeth, awkward dressing, horrible hair, and a weird shape. He didn’t love me back then. Well…apparently, awkward girls grow up to be pretty girls . With locs down my back, a crooked smile and full lips, and still rocking glasses, I ran into that boy…now man…and he all but chased me through the church. I have never felt more pursued in my entire adult life. It just so happens that the moment

What will you do when what you've prayed for is staring you in the face?

“God ordered your steps. All you have to do is take a step.” Let me tell you about this one time that I got real comfortable and almost passed up on what I had been praying for. So here I am, finally finished with my undergrad after being tossed around for almost two years after my expected graduation date. Ok, maybe it wasn’t all to blame on the school. Some of it was my fault. My laziness. My comfort. My complacency. OK...more than some. Most. But anyway, thats not important. here’s what is… Aramark at Catholic University has been a HUGE blessing in my life. When my school closed back in 2012 I got a part time job at Payless and months later, that store closed as well. I had worked for Aramark throughout high school and my first semester in college. When Payless shut it’s doors, Aramark opened theirs. They actually created a position for me. Yes. A blessing from God. Plus, CUA is home for me. I had no issue transitioning. But at the same time, this was a job. No my career

Forgiving Self

“ For millions of people, not every prison comes with a set of bars.”-R.A. Clark I had an idea about what forgiveness was. I thought it was moving on from any situation in which you’d been hurt. I was so off. One day I realized that I had a grocery list of unforgiveness. Not the week to week list; its that list that you make after not having been to the store in months because life got in the way. The refrigerator is bare. The only thing occupying it is baking soda, spoiled milk, and a stick of butter. When I looked around, the bare refrigerator paralleled my soul and when I looked at the long list, instead of food items being written there, I saw names. The offenses next to the names had at least 3 sub points. I was keeping score of every time I was hurt by each person. Interestingly enough, the record wasn't destroying the offenders, it was poisoning me . Something had to change. Transformation was necessary to my survival. I started asking questions to those tha