Skip to main content

Love or Career?

“I met this boy when I was six years old and what I loved most he had so much soul…”

So, I know Common was talking about Hip Hop, but this is my real life! I met… John (we’ll call him John) at… (John Elementary) when I was six. He was everything to me. He had pcurly hair and a beautiful smile. His skin was a soft caramel color and he played basketball. How could I not love him? I mean, I knew in that moment that we were going to be together forever. I told all my friends that he was mine. Knowing my mom was not having it, I still pretended. But I was a geek. I mean, like glasses, buck teeth, awkward dressing, horrible hair, and a weird shape. He didn’t love me back then.

Well…apparently, awkward girls grow up to be pretty girls. With locs down my back, a crooked smile and full lips, and still rocking glasses, I ran into that boy…now man…and he all but chased me through the church. I have never felt more pursued in my entire adult life.

It just so happens that the moment he began to chase me, my career began to take off. We barely talked outside of texting. I was either at work or getting reading for work. I didn’t have to brain power or mental capacity to give him any of my time. Yet, if I were on Spring break or Summer break, he was my focus. I don’t think that was enough for him. Which is understandable. No one wants to be second, especially to work.

However, I am 27 years old. While I feel old, I am pretty freaking young and I have my whole life for a man to be my center. Yet, I still find myself wondering whether or not I passed up on my good thing. I think I could have loved him. I think he could have made me happy. I think it could have been real.
            

So I am just wondering, is love more important than your career? Do you give up on your dreams to see if something could work? I don’t know. Maybe I went about this wrong. I need advice this time… what would you have done? How can you find balance? Is that even possible?

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally feel that you can have both. The person God has for you won't be a distraction, they will be an asset. The right person takes you towards your goals and dreams, sometimes even faster. Making time for someone you truly desire doesn't mean you're choosing them over your career. We all need balance. I choose both. I say, let love find you and be open when it comes. Men (Real men) love for a woman to have other passions and pursuits. These are often the things that make them fall so deeply in love with their woman. Live AND love Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Daria. I will add that it is also important to look for an equal. Most people look for that, which is why it is important to be yourself and go for what you want in life. Know yourself and love yourself first. More than likely thats the mindset you were in when your school crush pursued you. He saw your essence, where any decent man would see that. Continue in that vein, another one will be along soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is love more important than your career? My answer to that is no. How can you find balance, and is that even possible? Yes it is possible. How one finds balance, that is a deeper mystery in and of itself. To attempt an answer, I would suggest that he or she continue to live life the way they've been going about it & allow their significant other to come their way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What will you do when what you've prayed for is staring you in the face?

“God ordered your steps. All you have to do is take a step.” Let me tell you about this one time that I got real comfortable and almost passed up on what I had been praying for. So here I am, finally finished with my undergrad after being tossed around for almost two years after my expected graduation date. Ok, maybe it wasn’t all to blame on the school. Some of it was my fault. My laziness. My comfort. My complacency. OK...more than some. Most. But anyway, thats not important. here’s what is… Aramark at Catholic University has been a HUGE blessing in my life. When my school closed back in 2012 I got a part time job at Payless and months later, that store closed as well. I had worked for Aramark throughout high school and my first semester in college. When Payless shut it’s doors, Aramark opened theirs. They actually created a position for me. Yes. A blessing from God. Plus, CUA is home for me. I had no issue transitioning. But at the same time, this was a job. No my career

Forgiving Self

“ For millions of people, not every prison comes with a set of bars.”-R.A. Clark I had an idea about what forgiveness was. I thought it was moving on from any situation in which you’d been hurt. I was so off. One day I realized that I had a grocery list of unforgiveness. Not the week to week list; its that list that you make after not having been to the store in months because life got in the way. The refrigerator is bare. The only thing occupying it is baking soda, spoiled milk, and a stick of butter. When I looked around, the bare refrigerator paralleled my soul and when I looked at the long list, instead of food items being written there, I saw names. The offenses next to the names had at least 3 sub points. I was keeping score of every time I was hurt by each person. Interestingly enough, the record wasn't destroying the offenders, it was poisoning me . Something had to change. Transformation was necessary to my survival. I started asking questions to those tha