Skip to main content

What will you do when what you've prayed for is staring you in the face?

“God ordered your steps. All you have to do is take a step.”


Let me tell you about this one time that I got real comfortable and almost passed up on what I had been praying for.


So here I am, finally finished with my undergrad after being tossed around for almost two years after my expected graduation date. Ok, maybe it wasn’t all to blame on the school. Some of it was my fault. My laziness. My comfort. My complacency. OK...more than some. Most. But anyway, thats not important. here’s what is…


Aramark at Catholic University has been a HUGE blessing in my life. When my school closed back in 2012 I got a part time job at Payless and months later, that store closed as well. I had worked for Aramark throughout high school and my first semester in college. When Payless shut it’s doors, Aramark opened theirs. They actually created a position for me. Yes. A blessing from God. Plus, CUA is home for me. I had no issue transitioning. But at the same time, this was a job. No my career. I’d set a goal. ONE YEAR. That’s it. By then, my undergrad would be complete and I would be ready to start my career as a counselor within DCPS.


Fast forward to TWO whole years later...well...it’s finally my last week at Aramark. While I’d love to pour out to y'all what took me so long, that’s not what this blog is about. This one is about how I almost ended up staying here for another year after I was offered a position to work with Special Needs children in a DC school.


Over these last two years, my life has been a rollercoaster. It’s been insane. The depression cycle that I’ve been in took a lot out of me. It literally took God to shake up everything at my job for me to become fed up and make a move to change my life. I was applying for jobs and calling in favors and some more. Randomly, two opportunities came through the next day. When the principal called and let me a voicemail to set up and interview I stared at my phone. Hesitant. Fear swelled inside of me. After the interview I was unsure. Two weeks later I was offered the position. My mother and sister have been so excited and I have been silently second guessing it every other day.


What’s my point? How am I looking my blessing in the face and questioning it? How could I pray for this SPECIFIC job and then turn around and say, “are you sure?”


Now, at this point I’ve accepted the job and I am spending these last three days at Aramark. This place has been great to and for me but it was never my goal to be here long. I told myself that even if I have to take this job with fear in my heart, I would. I’ll get over it. But what I cannot do it walk away from this gift that God has given me.


Moral of the story, don’t you dare quote the promises of God then ask Him if they’re real.


“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me…” Philippians 4:13


Comments

  1. Can I tell you that you are speaking from MY OWN heart hunnie!? lol

    Let Him take you higher and higher. Like you said, "Life is a roller coaster". The higher you are elevated, the more nervous you become with the fear of falling but when you have reached that peak, you fell a little more at ease but not totally confident that you're safe yet. Then it happens!!! The most invigorating, satisfying feeling in the world! You conquered that fear and rode it out!

    Congratulations on the new CAREER!!! May your days be more than blessed in the position God made just for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love or Career?

“I met this boy when I was six years old and what I loved most he had so much soul…” So, I know Common was talking about Hip Hop, but this is my real life! I met… John (we’ll call him John) at… (John Elementary) when I was six. He was everything to me. He had pcurly hair and a beautiful smile. His skin was a soft caramel color and he played basketball. How could I not love him? I mean, I knew in that moment that we were going to be together forever. I told all my friends that he was mine. Knowing my mom was not having it, I still pretended. But I was a geek. I mean, like glasses, buck teeth, awkward dressing, horrible hair, and a weird shape. He didn’t love me back then. Well…apparently, awkward girls grow up to be pretty girls . With locs down my back, a crooked smile and full lips, and still rocking glasses, I ran into that boy…now man…and he all but chased me through the church. I have never felt more pursued in my entire adult life. It just so happens that the moment

Forgiving Self

“ For millions of people, not every prison comes with a set of bars.”-R.A. Clark I had an idea about what forgiveness was. I thought it was moving on from any situation in which you’d been hurt. I was so off. One day I realized that I had a grocery list of unforgiveness. Not the week to week list; its that list that you make after not having been to the store in months because life got in the way. The refrigerator is bare. The only thing occupying it is baking soda, spoiled milk, and a stick of butter. When I looked around, the bare refrigerator paralleled my soul and when I looked at the long list, instead of food items being written there, I saw names. The offenses next to the names had at least 3 sub points. I was keeping score of every time I was hurt by each person. Interestingly enough, the record wasn't destroying the offenders, it was poisoning me . Something had to change. Transformation was necessary to my survival. I started asking questions to those tha