Skip to main content

This Time...I'll Save Myself.



"Sometimes it's the journey that teaches you a lot about your destination."

I’ve been searching for something since I was 12. What is it you ask? I have no clue. Maybe if I could at least envision it I wouldn’t suffer so much in this journey to find it. I mean, is it possible that my search is in vain? That I have spent 16 years searching for what’s in front of me, or what doesn’t exist. Is it at all possible that I am to create what’s missing? Or that I should find it in the Creator, Himself? That I should hide myself under His beautiful wings and rest?

You see, all I’ve done is confuse myself more than previously. It’s like this endless cycle of searching for that “thing,” not finding it, and wondering if it exists at all. I’ve looked to my parents for it, my most favorite cousins, and then my friends. I’ve slept in the pews, I’ve laid my burdens on the tear stained royal carpet that covers the altar, and I’ve trusted in church leadership to point me in the right direction. Even then, I walk away more confused than I was when I was 12 years old and I sat next to my mom as she mourned the loss of her marriage. I am more lost than when I was 20 years old eating peanut butter crackers and paying for college without my next meal in sight. How might I grab ahold of what’s missing when I see it if I am not even sure what to look for?

Just to be clear, I am not hard to please. I find joy in my morning coffee that my mom wakes me up with just because. A buck teeth smile covers my face when my iTunes playlist meets the requirements of my spirit on my bumper to bumper traffic filled Tuesdays.

So, I was thinking, what if my search is within. The distance that occurred between my father and I when he ended his marriage has never healed. The friend that I had, that same year that my dad left, that played on my weaknesses still visits me in my dreams. The boy that I loved almost 3 years ago, who never loved me back, is currently haunting my caring for MY heart in the arms of someone else. So, what if my search is endless until I search for the love that I gave away so freely and never received in return.


I don’t know. All of these “what ifs” and when I end this open letter to myself, I’ll still be searching. I’ll still be lost. Waiting for someone to save me. Or…maybe…just maybe…this time I will save myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What will you do when what you've prayed for is staring you in the face?

“God ordered your steps. All you have to do is take a step.” Let me tell you about this one time that I got real comfortable and almost passed up on what I had been praying for. So here I am, finally finished with my undergrad after being tossed around for almost two years after my expected graduation date. Ok, maybe it wasn’t all to blame on the school. Some of it was my fault. My laziness. My comfort. My complacency. OK...more than some. Most. But anyway, thats not important. here’s what is… Aramark at Catholic University has been a HUGE blessing in my life. When my school closed back in 2012 I got a part time job at Payless and months later, that store closed as well. I had worked for Aramark throughout high school and my first semester in college. When Payless shut it’s doors, Aramark opened theirs. They actually created a position for me. Yes. A blessing from God. Plus, CUA is home for me. I had no issue transitioning. But at the same time, this was a job. No my career

Love or Career?

“I met this boy when I was six years old and what I loved most he had so much soul…” So, I know Common was talking about Hip Hop, but this is my real life! I met… John (we’ll call him John) at… (John Elementary) when I was six. He was everything to me. He had pcurly hair and a beautiful smile. His skin was a soft caramel color and he played basketball. How could I not love him? I mean, I knew in that moment that we were going to be together forever. I told all my friends that he was mine. Knowing my mom was not having it, I still pretended. But I was a geek. I mean, like glasses, buck teeth, awkward dressing, horrible hair, and a weird shape. He didn’t love me back then. Well…apparently, awkward girls grow up to be pretty girls . With locs down my back, a crooked smile and full lips, and still rocking glasses, I ran into that boy…now man…and he all but chased me through the church. I have never felt more pursued in my entire adult life. It just so happens that the moment

Forgiving Self

“ For millions of people, not every prison comes with a set of bars.”-R.A. Clark I had an idea about what forgiveness was. I thought it was moving on from any situation in which you’d been hurt. I was so off. One day I realized that I had a grocery list of unforgiveness. Not the week to week list; its that list that you make after not having been to the store in months because life got in the way. The refrigerator is bare. The only thing occupying it is baking soda, spoiled milk, and a stick of butter. When I looked around, the bare refrigerator paralleled my soul and when I looked at the long list, instead of food items being written there, I saw names. The offenses next to the names had at least 3 sub points. I was keeping score of every time I was hurt by each person. Interestingly enough, the record wasn't destroying the offenders, it was poisoning me . Something had to change. Transformation was necessary to my survival. I started asking questions to those tha