Skip to main content

"No Fear"

“God doesn’t want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible.”


I read this article years ago. I think I was in high school. This guy goes to two classrooms. One is a lecture room at a college. He says to the freshman students, “how many of you can paint?” A few raise their hands. Then he asks, “how many of you can sing?” One raises her hand but accompanies it by saying “I’m ok. Not really that great.” Then he asks, “How many of you can act?” Another few students raise their hands but for the most part, the lecture hall filled with students was silent. So then he goes to the other classroom. This is an elementary class filled with kindergarten students. He poses the same questions and with each question almost every student raises their hand excitedly.

Why am I sharing this story? Between kindergarten and college, something changed in these students. Something changes in all of us as we grow. In some ways reality sets in. No one can be good at everything. In other ways, fear becomes our reality. The things that we know we are good at, yet can be great at, are covered in the fear that others may not think we are good at.



Interviewer: I hear that you paint.
Beyonce: I do.
Interviewer: When can we see your work?
Beyonce: I paint for myself. I won’t ever show it to the world because then I’ll start trying to perfect it.


Paul tells Timothy in 2 Timothy to be bold with his gifts, to keep his special gifts ablaze!


In my own life, I’ve experienced crippling fear. I’ve always love writing. I don't care what it is. That goes for essays, poetry, and even books. I’ve probably written and completed 5 books. When I was 5, I started sharing everything I had written. Now, as an adult, I tell people that I peeked at 15 and I haven’t written anything good since then. But I have. I write all the time. The truth is, I started doing open mics at 15 with some of the best poets I’ve ever met and even if no one was judging me, I was judging myself. I was standing next to them and not measuring up, in my mind. I let my fear of inadequacy stunt my growth and creativity.

Today, I challenge each of you to release yourself from the shackles and bondage of fear. It’s not fair to the gift that God has placed in you. Dare to be great! I mean, you might as well….He died for it :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love or Career?

“I met this boy when I was six years old and what I loved most he had so much soul…” So, I know Common was talking about Hip Hop, but this is my real life! I met… John (we’ll call him John) at… (John Elementary) when I was six. He was everything to me. He had pcurly hair and a beautiful smile. His skin was a soft caramel color and he played basketball. How could I not love him? I mean, I knew in that moment that we were going to be together forever. I told all my friends that he was mine. Knowing my mom was not having it, I still pretended. But I was a geek. I mean, like glasses, buck teeth, awkward dressing, horrible hair, and a weird shape. He didn’t love me back then. Well…apparently, awkward girls grow up to be pretty girls . With locs down my back, a crooked smile and full lips, and still rocking glasses, I ran into that boy…now man…and he all but chased me through the church. I have never felt more pursued in my entire adult life. It just so happens that the moment

What will you do when what you've prayed for is staring you in the face?

“God ordered your steps. All you have to do is take a step.” Let me tell you about this one time that I got real comfortable and almost passed up on what I had been praying for. So here I am, finally finished with my undergrad after being tossed around for almost two years after my expected graduation date. Ok, maybe it wasn’t all to blame on the school. Some of it was my fault. My laziness. My comfort. My complacency. OK...more than some. Most. But anyway, thats not important. here’s what is… Aramark at Catholic University has been a HUGE blessing in my life. When my school closed back in 2012 I got a part time job at Payless and months later, that store closed as well. I had worked for Aramark throughout high school and my first semester in college. When Payless shut it’s doors, Aramark opened theirs. They actually created a position for me. Yes. A blessing from God. Plus, CUA is home for me. I had no issue transitioning. But at the same time, this was a job. No my career

Forgiving Self

“ For millions of people, not every prison comes with a set of bars.”-R.A. Clark I had an idea about what forgiveness was. I thought it was moving on from any situation in which you’d been hurt. I was so off. One day I realized that I had a grocery list of unforgiveness. Not the week to week list; its that list that you make after not having been to the store in months because life got in the way. The refrigerator is bare. The only thing occupying it is baking soda, spoiled milk, and a stick of butter. When I looked around, the bare refrigerator paralleled my soul and when I looked at the long list, instead of food items being written there, I saw names. The offenses next to the names had at least 3 sub points. I was keeping score of every time I was hurt by each person. Interestingly enough, the record wasn't destroying the offenders, it was poisoning me . Something had to change. Transformation was necessary to my survival. I started asking questions to those tha