Skip to main content

"My name is Shawntika and I am a...."

"Do you trust yourself enough, have enough self-worth to believe that someone would be with you if you don't make them do it?"
-Dr. Phil

As time progresses, my blog is becoming more and more personal. So as I was considering this post, I got a little scared. I started wondering what you guys would think of me. What would people be saying behind my back? How will they start to look at me? How badly will I be talked about? And then, it became more and more clear that I needed to write this. And the reason is simple. I am a control freak. I mean, even in my hesitation to write this, I was being controlling. Because if I could, I would control how you receive everything I am writing.

You see, I’ve learned in my 25 years on this earth that exposing your battles, makes fighting them easier. Think about it, how hard would it be for Mayweather and Pacquiao to box is the venue was black. No lights. All they know is someone is across from them trying to rip their head off. And also, people wouldn’t be paying hundreds of dollars to watch that match. I’ve learned that fighting your battles in the light means you see your opponent, face them head on, and others draw strength from the win that God himself has already designed.

With that said, I am exposing my current battle.

Hi, my name is Shawntika and I am a control freak. I mean, I am top of the line. The freak of all control freaks. If things aren’t happening in the order I have set, I fall apart. If people are not responding to me the way I intended, I break down. And if someone around me is hurting and I can’t make it better, I have failed. Yea, I’m also a fixer. Just call me Olivia Pope.

So once again, as in most of my posts, I have NO answer to this issue. All I know is, this morning, I picked up my laptop and searched “how to stop being controlling.” The first thing that caught my attention was this quote from Dr. Phil. "We get to thinking we're the center of the universe and everyone's watching, so we hold ourselves to really high standards for fear of judgment." I instantly got sick. Yea. Like nauseous. That’s me. I WEAR MYSELF OUT trying to reach a level in life where I am blameless and untouchable. What kills me the most is knowing that there is no place as such to reach. Mistakes happen. People disagree. Bad days happen. Things don’t go as planned. Accidents occur. Things break. And guess what?... Life goes on.

So where does this leave me and all of my control issues???

A few months back, I think, a friend of mine told me,  “throw the frisbee and let it go where it goes. Take the rope off of the frisbee that you have attached to it in fear of it landing somewhere that you have not chosen. Just throw it. You never know where it might end up.”

I understood the metaphor very well back then. But I was  not ready for what the truth behind that metaphor entailed. Because I blocked out her advice, I’ve made countless mistakes and possibly ruined that particular friendship. It could be beyond repair. I may have decided to take the rope off entirely too late. But if I haven’t. If there is hope, let it be known that I am in the right place at this point. I am open to learn a new way a life. A life free of condemnation. Free of a life built to be inerrant. No ropes. No strings. *inhales deeply, exhales slowly, throws frisbee*

Why am I exposing this pride-filled battle? Because I need you all to pray for me as I am praying for all of those who are able to identify with me. This is not a battle to be fought in hiding. The darkness will only feed it. So I am challenging my fellow controllers, will you throw your frisbees? Because in my spirit I see frisbees flying free across the world. Or maybe those are just all of mine being released.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love or Career?

“I met this boy when I was six years old and what I loved most he had so much soul…” So, I know Common was talking about Hip Hop, but this is my real life! I met… John (we’ll call him John) at… (John Elementary) when I was six. He was everything to me. He had pcurly hair and a beautiful smile. His skin was a soft caramel color and he played basketball. How could I not love him? I mean, I knew in that moment that we were going to be together forever. I told all my friends that he was mine. Knowing my mom was not having it, I still pretended. But I was a geek. I mean, like glasses, buck teeth, awkward dressing, horrible hair, and a weird shape. He didn’t love me back then. Well…apparently, awkward girls grow up to be pretty girls . With locs down my back, a crooked smile and full lips, and still rocking glasses, I ran into that boy…now man…and he all but chased me through the church. I have never felt more pursued in my entire adult life. It just so happens that the moment

What will you do when what you've prayed for is staring you in the face?

“God ordered your steps. All you have to do is take a step.” Let me tell you about this one time that I got real comfortable and almost passed up on what I had been praying for. So here I am, finally finished with my undergrad after being tossed around for almost two years after my expected graduation date. Ok, maybe it wasn’t all to blame on the school. Some of it was my fault. My laziness. My comfort. My complacency. OK...more than some. Most. But anyway, thats not important. here’s what is… Aramark at Catholic University has been a HUGE blessing in my life. When my school closed back in 2012 I got a part time job at Payless and months later, that store closed as well. I had worked for Aramark throughout high school and my first semester in college. When Payless shut it’s doors, Aramark opened theirs. They actually created a position for me. Yes. A blessing from God. Plus, CUA is home for me. I had no issue transitioning. But at the same time, this was a job. No my career

Forgiving Self

“ For millions of people, not every prison comes with a set of bars.”-R.A. Clark I had an idea about what forgiveness was. I thought it was moving on from any situation in which you’d been hurt. I was so off. One day I realized that I had a grocery list of unforgiveness. Not the week to week list; its that list that you make after not having been to the store in months because life got in the way. The refrigerator is bare. The only thing occupying it is baking soda, spoiled milk, and a stick of butter. When I looked around, the bare refrigerator paralleled my soul and when I looked at the long list, instead of food items being written there, I saw names. The offenses next to the names had at least 3 sub points. I was keeping score of every time I was hurt by each person. Interestingly enough, the record wasn't destroying the offenders, it was poisoning me . Something had to change. Transformation was necessary to my survival. I started asking questions to those tha