Skip to main content

A Mothers Prayer

Last week I was sitting across from my nail tech (check her out, @nailzbynisey) and I was on the phone with a friend. She was telling my about her son who is acting out. And the week before, I sat in that same chair listening to my cousin who was having trouble with her teenage daughter who had been acting out. Nisey looked at me and said, “So are you the child whisperer?” I laughed.

Apparently, there’s some truth to her words. After thinking about it, I’ve been having several conversations about children and their relationship with their parents. Specifically, with their mothers. Here’s why. Several years ago, a couple weeks before my 23rd birthday, my mother and I got into the biggest fight of my life. Mind you, I was always a pretty quiet and respectful child. I did whatever my mother asked and when she asked. Then I got grown. Or at least I thought I was. I had a car, a car note, a pretty decent job for someone my age and I didn’t have a single bill to pay. Yet, I have NO clue what independence was.

Well, somewhere in all of my “independence” I forgot that my mother had given me the privilege to live this way. She was tired of it. She sent me on my way. I won’t get into details but just know that it wasn’t that simple. There were a lot more words involved and when I left I had no intentions of returning. And if I did, she wasn’t going to open the door. We had both gone too far to return.

 I spent a year apart from her. I lived with my friend, my sister, and then rented an apartment with a roommate. I cried so many nights. I missed my mommy. I was POOR LOL. All the time! However, in that time, I learned what true independence meant. I was cooking, cleaning, working, and tired. All the time! I was ADULTING. And I fell in love with it.

About a year later, my mother and I reconciled. I can’t tell you the exact moment that it happened but I know our love was different. She respected me. And I appreciate her. Over that year of us not speaking I remember wondering if we would ever speak again and how I was supposed to move forward. That had to be the hardest year ever. Not just because we were estranged but because in my toughest times I couldn’t lean back on her. I will never let that happen again.


All of this to say, for some reason, reconciliation between parents and children has become a part of my life. I’ve never been quiet about my story and people have been listening. I want to be a constant reminder that sometimes we just don’t have to go out like that. Sometimes we can stop before the line is crossed. And don’t get me wrong, some child/parent relationships are unhealthy and need to be cut off. But before you decide that you have a bad parent, stop and think. We are too old at this point to still be trying to outgrow our childhood. So, your mother/father was not perfect. No one is. And when and if you have children, they’ll have some of the same complaints. You don’t know what a bad parent is, unless you have a bad parent.
So thank you mom. This one is for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What will you do when what you've prayed for is staring you in the face?

“God ordered your steps. All you have to do is take a step.” Let me tell you about this one time that I got real comfortable and almost passed up on what I had been praying for. So here I am, finally finished with my undergrad after being tossed around for almost two years after my expected graduation date. Ok, maybe it wasn’t all to blame on the school. Some of it was my fault. My laziness. My comfort. My complacency. OK...more than some. Most. But anyway, thats not important. here’s what is… Aramark at Catholic University has been a HUGE blessing in my life. When my school closed back in 2012 I got a part time job at Payless and months later, that store closed as well. I had worked for Aramark throughout high school and my first semester in college. When Payless shut it’s doors, Aramark opened theirs. They actually created a position for me. Yes. A blessing from God. Plus, CUA is home for me. I had no issue transitioning. But at the same time, this was a job. No my career

Love or Career?

“I met this boy when I was six years old and what I loved most he had so much soul…” So, I know Common was talking about Hip Hop, but this is my real life! I met… John (we’ll call him John) at… (John Elementary) when I was six. He was everything to me. He had pcurly hair and a beautiful smile. His skin was a soft caramel color and he played basketball. How could I not love him? I mean, I knew in that moment that we were going to be together forever. I told all my friends that he was mine. Knowing my mom was not having it, I still pretended. But I was a geek. I mean, like glasses, buck teeth, awkward dressing, horrible hair, and a weird shape. He didn’t love me back then. Well…apparently, awkward girls grow up to be pretty girls . With locs down my back, a crooked smile and full lips, and still rocking glasses, I ran into that boy…now man…and he all but chased me through the church. I have never felt more pursued in my entire adult life. It just so happens that the moment

Forgiving Self

“ For millions of people, not every prison comes with a set of bars.”-R.A. Clark I had an idea about what forgiveness was. I thought it was moving on from any situation in which you’d been hurt. I was so off. One day I realized that I had a grocery list of unforgiveness. Not the week to week list; its that list that you make after not having been to the store in months because life got in the way. The refrigerator is bare. The only thing occupying it is baking soda, spoiled milk, and a stick of butter. When I looked around, the bare refrigerator paralleled my soul and when I looked at the long list, instead of food items being written there, I saw names. The offenses next to the names had at least 3 sub points. I was keeping score of every time I was hurt by each person. Interestingly enough, the record wasn't destroying the offenders, it was poisoning me . Something had to change. Transformation was necessary to my survival. I started asking questions to those tha