Skip to main content

A LOVE THAT ENDURES

“And that is what we are here to celebrate today. A love that endures. Blessed are those that bend but never break. May your love continue to endure and may you always like each other.”

I had the pleasure of speaking at my brother’s vowel renewal this past weekend in Jamaica. It was probably one of the most beautiful moments in my life. I’ve been to plenty of weddings and I have watched love flourish amongst many friends but this moment was close to home. I’ll explain why.

“As I was wondering about what I would say today I was reminded that I had been preparing for this moment since Emanuel got sick all those years ago. I remember watching you stand at his side, not sure what was going to happen.”

I’ve always loved my brother. We didn’t grow up together and are far apart in age, but he made sure to stay in my life. Then he created a beautiful family of his own with his wife who I am too close too to ever consider her an in law. They’ve raised two beautiful boys that for some reason think the world of me even though they are quickly growing and know I’m not perfect. Some years back my brother got extremely sick somewhere in the middle of all that love and while I did everything for Kisha that I could, I watched her care for him and their sons. There was one night that the three of us kept her company until we fell asleep across her bed. She never slept. She just laid their watching time tick by and waiting.

“There’s a part in the wedding vows that says ‘in sickness and in health.’ It’s cute in the movies and on TV but our reality is a bit different.”

I’ve never seen anyone so gracefully and diligently live those words out. See, my brother recovered after some time. And then, years later, my sister fell ill. That’s a lot of “sickness and health” in one marriage. And would you believe that through all of that, they still look at one another the same. Kisha still reminds me of that young doctor I met when I was 12 years old who’s smile stretched a mile long when she saw him. And he is still that young man who lives by the code, “happy wife, happy life.” I’ve never seen a more amazing husband.

That blazing hot morning in Jamaica was so special to me because, my brother and sister live a quiet life. They take care of their sons, they work hard, and they laugh often. They let me in that life. They let me witness all of those moments. The cycles of love and the beauty of caring for one another. They are a shining example of what those beautiful tradition wedding vows mean.

To have and to hold
 From this day forward
 For better or for worse
For richer or for poorer
 In sickness and in health
Until death do us part.


“May you love each other in and out of time. 
Forever and Always.”

Comments

  1. What a beautiful story of commitment to the vows one makes at their wedding day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love or Career?

“I met this boy when I was six years old and what I loved most he had so much soul…” So, I know Common was talking about Hip Hop, but this is my real life! I met… John (we’ll call him John) at… (John Elementary) when I was six. He was everything to me. He had pcurly hair and a beautiful smile. His skin was a soft caramel color and he played basketball. How could I not love him? I mean, I knew in that moment that we were going to be together forever. I told all my friends that he was mine. Knowing my mom was not having it, I still pretended. But I was a geek. I mean, like glasses, buck teeth, awkward dressing, horrible hair, and a weird shape. He didn’t love me back then. Well…apparently, awkward girls grow up to be pretty girls . With locs down my back, a crooked smile and full lips, and still rocking glasses, I ran into that boy…now man…and he all but chased me through the church. I have never felt more pursued in my entire adult life. It just so happens that the moment

What will you do when what you've prayed for is staring you in the face?

“God ordered your steps. All you have to do is take a step.” Let me tell you about this one time that I got real comfortable and almost passed up on what I had been praying for. So here I am, finally finished with my undergrad after being tossed around for almost two years after my expected graduation date. Ok, maybe it wasn’t all to blame on the school. Some of it was my fault. My laziness. My comfort. My complacency. OK...more than some. Most. But anyway, thats not important. here’s what is… Aramark at Catholic University has been a HUGE blessing in my life. When my school closed back in 2012 I got a part time job at Payless and months later, that store closed as well. I had worked for Aramark throughout high school and my first semester in college. When Payless shut it’s doors, Aramark opened theirs. They actually created a position for me. Yes. A blessing from God. Plus, CUA is home for me. I had no issue transitioning. But at the same time, this was a job. No my career

Forgiving Self

“ For millions of people, not every prison comes with a set of bars.”-R.A. Clark I had an idea about what forgiveness was. I thought it was moving on from any situation in which you’d been hurt. I was so off. One day I realized that I had a grocery list of unforgiveness. Not the week to week list; its that list that you make after not having been to the store in months because life got in the way. The refrigerator is bare. The only thing occupying it is baking soda, spoiled milk, and a stick of butter. When I looked around, the bare refrigerator paralleled my soul and when I looked at the long list, instead of food items being written there, I saw names. The offenses next to the names had at least 3 sub points. I was keeping score of every time I was hurt by each person. Interestingly enough, the record wasn't destroying the offenders, it was poisoning me . Something had to change. Transformation was necessary to my survival. I started asking questions to those tha